Dasher/Java/Android research linkdump
I find Dasher an interesting input method, and after getting my Android phone I thought it would be nice to try Dasher on it. However, at the time there was no Dasher port or any information on the Web about the possibility, so I looked into writing one. I found several dead projects and miscellaneous repositories and eventually found that the main Dasher repository had a Java port of Dasher. I dabbled in getting it to run on Android, but before I got anywhere I found Dasher was now in the Android Market, though there was still no discussion/announcement/public project info.
I shall now dump the links I collected while I was working on this project, so as to make the matter of Dasher and Java better-indexed. Unfortunately, I don't recall the significance of all of them.
- The Dasher repository at gnome.org (see
java/for the Java code)
- GNOME wiki DasherJavaApplet — Some notes on the Java applet version of Dasher
- GNOME wiki DasherJavaEvaluation — Some apparently old notes on the possibility of porting Dasher to Java
- Chris Smowtown — The person that wrote the Java applet version of Dasher. Various links point to this site for more information about it but the site doesn't actually now contain that information.
- Inference Group Wiki: DasherProject
- Inference Group: Dasher Project: Development
- JDasher — Project Kenai — Not sure what the relationship of this is.
The Dasher port that's currently in the Market is pretty solid. It has a variety of options for input (touch, trackball, tilt); the main thing it's missing is independent control of the X/Y sensitivity of the tilt control.